Providing financial incentives
preservation of Kendall Whittier
The Kendall Whittier Facade Grant Program offers dollar-for-dollar matching grants of up to $3,000 and up to $1,000.
Thank you to our underwriter and partner
, the George
Kaiser Family Foundation.
We appreciate your support of the Kendall Whittier Facade Grant Program!
George Kaiser Family Foundation is dedicated to making Tulsa the best city for children to be born, grow and succeed. Learn more >>
Here’s what past Facade Grant recipients have to say about the program.
We are so grateful to have received the Kendall Whittier Facade Grant! Every little bit helps and the money was easily put to good use towards our award-winning rehabilitation.
Installing windows in our service station has reopened our storefront up to Whittier Square. The Kendall Whittier Facade Grant gave us the motivation for this facelift and a necessary improvement.
Ziegler Art & Frame
More testimonials to come!
The Buck Building
Over the years, more than 20 buildings have been rehabilitated or updated as part of the Facade Grant Program. Here are some of the recent projects!
• The building must be located within the boundaries of Kendall Whittier Main Street’s program area (see map below).
• Only commercial properties are eligible.
• Your application must be submitted and approved before beginning work. Grants are not awarded for work done prior to approval.
• An eligible façade is defined as an individual storefront or side of a building that faces a public street. Separate addresses within a single building may qualify as separate façades.
• Grantees shall use local vendors whenever possible.
• Grantees are encouraged to use the free services of the Oklahoma Main Street architect, the Oklahoma Main Street Design Guidelines and the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Historic Rehabilitation when applicable.
• Upon completion of the project, applicants must submit the proper City of Tulsa building or sign permits and all paid receipts for the improvements. KWMS will verify that the work was done according to the approved project plans before reimbursing funds.
How It Works
• Submit an application to KWMS by February 28 and before starting work.
• KWMS will notify grant winners no later than March 31.
• Make the facade improvements as outlined in your application and submit paid receipts by December 10.
• KWMS will reimburse you for 50% of your expenditures up to the grant award amount.
• KWMS will award matching grants of up to $3,000 and up to $1,000. The number of each depends on allocation obtained and applications submitted.
• Masonry or mortar joint repair
• Window or door repair/replacement
• Transom and window repair/replacement
• Replacement of architectural details
• Removing non-historic materials (siding that covers windows, bricked-over door openings, removing paint from brick, etc.)
• Exterior painting (except for applying paint to unpainted brick)
• Repair, replacement, or addition of awnings
• Exterior lighting and signage
• Mural or public art
• Other improvements may qualify on a case-by-case basis. Contact KWMS for more advice.
February 28, 2021, 11:59 p.m.
Notification of AwardNo later than March 31, 2021
All projects must be completed with receipts paid and submitted by December 10, 2021.
Applications which meet the following criteria will be given special consideration:
• Historic/Architectural Integrity – Projects that keep/return a building to its historic appearance will be given special consideration. Grants will not be awarded to projects that cover, damage or remove original architectural
• Lasting Improvement – High quality improvements that will be durable for years.
• High Visual Impact – Will the work make a dramatic difference in the district?
• Active Street Front – Buildings should not have large blank walls facing the street or sidewalk. Ground-floor windows and doors are desirable for pedestrian activity.
All decisions and award amounts are made according to the merit of individual projects with the overall goal of maximizing KWMS’s investment.
Facade Grant Application
Fill out the application below by February 28!
If the application is being made by someone other than the property owner, written permission from the property owner allowing the improvements must be submitted with the application.
“Before” color photographs showing the existing condition of the building must be submitted with the application. Digital photos are acceptable.
Submit supporting documents that describe the proposed work. Be as specific as possible. This is the “after” to your “before” photos. Supporting documents might include one or all of the following:
• Written description (separate page if needed)
• Line drawings to scale (hand drawings with measurements acceptable)
• Architect’s sketch (larger projects) • Contractor’s quote